Friday, June 18, 2010

Mistwood by Leah Cypess

Review of Mistwood by Leah Cypess

Published: April 27, 2010

4.5 out of 5 smirks

Synopsis: “Everyone tells Isabel that she is the Shifter - the ancient shape-shifting creature who has protected the kings of Samorna for centuries. They need her to be the Shifter. Prince Rokan risked everything when he rode into the Mistwood to summon her to his side; Ven, the magician's apprentice, has devoted his life to studying her legend; and even Princess Clarisse, who fears and hates her, depends on Isabel's powers to further her own plans.

But Isabel doesn't feel like the Shifter. She feels like a lonely human girl, beset by flashes of memory that do more to confuse than to help her. If she is the Shifter, why can't she change her shape? Why doesn't she remember what made her flee the castle so many years ago? As she is drawn deeper into a web of magic and assassination, Isabel will have no choice but to look for answers. But her search will lead her to the one question the Shifter hasn't faced in a thousand years: where does she come from, and what does she really want?”

Mistwood pulls you into this magical land and makes your skin tingle with magical essence. Isabel is on my top characters of all time that I adore and relate to list. She really makes the impossible things seem possible and has this daring presence about her. I’m not going to tell you what Mistwood is all about because it would ruin the experience for you. I will say there is unexpected mystery, treason, adventure, and just enough romance to make your heart beat a little faster and stop it in its tracks.

The really unexpected thing about Mistwood was how many times you had to guess which side someone was on. It was like you were with Isabel the whole way trying to figure out plots and find out who was truly a traitor. It really makes the reader feel a part of the story line, which is the best feeling (in my opinion) in the world. A great thing about this book also is that as readers we get to hear from different points of view which I have always loved. It gives readers a sense of what another character is thinking and reacting to how the main character talks.

I gave Mistwood 4.5 smirks because I really enjoyed the story, the plot, and everything about it. That being said however, I wouldn’t necessarily buy this book to re-read it a bunch of times like other books I own. I thought it was superbly creative and enchanting. I was more than happy to dive into that reality for a time and connect with the characters, but once was enough for me. Like all books, with the exception of one or two, I am happy to have experienced the book and the talented author, Leah Cypess, behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment