Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Vampire And The Virgin by Kerrelyn Sparks

Review of The Vampire And The Virgin by Kerrelyn Sparks

Published: March 9, 2010

4 out of 5 smirks

Synopsis: “Olivia's packing list:


1. Sunscreen
2. Bathing suit
3. Flip-flops


FBI psychologist Olivia Sotiris was looking for a cool ocean breeze, sand between her toes, and a break from her crazy, chaotic, and sometimes all-too-dangerous life. But when she escaped to the small Greek island of Patmos, all she got were meddling grandmothers trying to marry her off. Can't they see that none of the men around interests her—except Robby MacKay?


Robby's packing list:


1. Synthetic blood
2. More synthetic blood

3. Jogging clothes
(even vamps have to stay in shape!)


Robby needs to cool off, too, since all he can think about is revenge on the Malcontent bloodsuckers who once held him captive—but then he meets Olivia, the beauty with wild curls and a tempting smile. When a deadly criminal from a case back home tracks her down, Robby will have to save her life—along with giving her a first time she'll never forget.”

So there is a story to why I checked this book out from the library. Late one night I was at Wal-Mart with a friend in the book section, I was looking around and I came across the most hilarious romance cover in the entire world. Now since reading another romance series my friend Katarinasmama and I always make a habit to point out ridiculous romance covers when in a bookstore. So naturally I see this cover for The Vampire And The Virgin and I had to take a picture and text it to her. Ever since then the cover has been a laugh riot and there was even talk of just buying me the book to read.

I thought it would be a good story to tell Katarinasmama if I actually checked out the book from the library and finished it. So I did just that and let me tell you that whole “never judge a book by its cover” deal is sssssooooo completely accurate. I gave The Vampire And The Virgin 4 smirks because it had actually good aspects I loved about it. Now granted vampires are starting to go out of style, but this book (which I later found out was a series Love At Stake, book 8) had a fresh way about it. It also helped that the author told the story from two points of view.

As a reader I was able to get a sense of what each main character was going through and how they thought, which is something I truly appreciated about this book. I like being able to see actions and reactions from different points of views and to know how each character thinks. I’m not going to ruin the story for you all but I will tell you I was surprised at how much I enjoyed reading it. I started reading it and it wasn’t until my stomach started bugging me that I realized I forgot to eat because I was so busy. It’s fun, Robby has an accent, Olivia has a stalker, weird shit happens, it’s crazy, there’s lust, and of course love. Read it if you want, but just know even if a cover looks not up to par with other books you may have read, it may very well be the best book you’ve never thought about reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment