Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sea by Heidi R. Kling

Review of Sea by Heidi R. Kling

Published: June 10, 2010

4 out of 5 smirks

Synopsis: “Still haunted by nightmares of her mother’s death, fifteen-year-old Sienna Jones reluctantly travels to Indonesia with her father’s relief team to help tsunami orphans with their post traumatic stress disorder—something Sienna knows a lot about. Since her mother’s plane went missing over the Indian Ocean three years before, Sienna doesn’t do anything if it involves the ocean or planes, so this trip is a big step forward.

But the last thing she expects is to fall for Deni, a brooding Indonesian boy who lives at the orphanage, and just so happens to be HOT. When Deni hears a rumor that his father may be alive, Sienna doesn’t think twice about running away with him to the epicenter of the disaster. Unfortunately, what they find there could break both their hearts.”

Sea by Heidi R. Kling was a heart breaking and inspiring book. The first 25 pages had me clutching my chest thinking “gee thanks for breaking my heart right at the very beginning.” Have no fear though, it turned out ok. I mean the characters were awesome, but I wanted to know more about Sea and Spider, I guess obviously I’m Team Spider. I thought Heidi Kling did a fantastic job describing and setting a scene for death, destruction, fear, loss, and hope. (Which I might add is very hard to do and takes a very compelling author to be able to bring emotions like that to the surface for a reader).

I felt a real connection to what Team Hope was doing in “Indo” and that it gave each of the characters back apart of themselves that they lost over time. And for Sea to find comfort in a boy named Deni who was in the same position as she was sweet and caring. I guess I wasn’t really a fan of Deni because I had my heart set on Spider for Sea; they just seemed like a better, fuller fit. Deni and Sea are from two different oceans and waves apart, it would just be hard.

I gave Sea 4 smirks because I enjoyed reading it, and while I was reading it I had real emotions that were closely tied in with the characters were feeling. I’m not sure if I would want to read Sea again, maybe in a year, because the emotions that hit me were pretty hard to take. Like spiraling out of control and spiraling back into control just gets harder and harder to digest. Do I think it is a book worth reading? 100% yes. Do I think it is a book worth buying? Yes, I’ve never had an author depicted so much turmoil that it hit me right in the chest, it is really quite breathing taking to be able to have that affect on readers. And if you read Sea by Heidi Kling you will know exactly what I am talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment