Thursday, July 1, 2010

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Review of Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Published: July 20, 2010

4 out of 5 smirks

Synopsis: “In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.”

***SPOILER ALERT***

Ok so Shiver was the first book I read after I read The Mortal Instruments Series, and it really clicked and connected with a deeper part of myself. I loved Shiver for that. Linger which is the second book of this trilogy, stuck a knife into my gut and twisted until there was no pain left, just tears and hyperventilation. I’ve always loved how Maggie Stiefvater can take a story and bring it to an impossibly insane, painful level that leaves you wondering how she created such a masterpiece. I gave Linger 4 smirks because the story was good like I said in the most painful, incredible way possible, but it didn’t sit well with me what Maggie Stiefvater did with her main character Grace.

Clearly, we always knew that Grace would become a wolf and apart of her always wanted to be free and roam. However, having the climax go at the end of the book leaving the reader helpless and wanting to comfort Sam because he loved his human life much more and so wanted to find a cure for both of them and all of them was just harsh. Don’t get me wrong I admire what this author did that so many others are afraid to do to their characters, and I love the story. However now I’m left with a hole in my heart and a stab wound in my gut.

Should you read this trilogy? Yes, Maggie Stiefvater can really create a world and story line that is unlike any you have ever read. Are these books worth paying $17.99 each? Yes, but I advise to wait until the next and last installment of the trilogy (Forever) to come out before you go off and buy/read these books. It’s like being on a cliffhanger for a year and half just waiting to find out how the story ends, basically it is agonizing. Maggie Stiefvater is a terrific author and I advise everyone who reads this blog to read any and all of her books.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Shiver and really liked Linger. One of these days, I'll have to compose my thoughts too and write the review of Linger.

    Love your review, it sums up my feelings as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree. I pulled the knife out last night. I don't see how I/we can wait for Forever. I was hoping for an epilogue, or something to tide me over until Grace and Sam can live happily ever after! I did however, love that she included the insights of Cole (oh, I do lurve me some bad boys) and Isabelle's snarkiness made me feel right at home. All in all it was a great book. Loved your review!

    ReplyDelete