Saturday, March 27, 2010

The House of Night Series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast


Review of the House of Night Series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

Published: September 29, 2009- Present, Future

4 out of 5 smirks

Synopsis: “The House of Night is a thrilling, New York Times bestselling book series that follows 16-year-old Zoey Redbird as she is “Marked” by a vampyre tracker and begins to undergo the “Change” into an actual vampyre. She has to leave her family in Broken Arrow, OK, and move into the House of Night, a boarding school for other fledgling vampyres like her.
It’s tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx. Although Zoey has awesome new powers, it’s hard to fit in when everyone knows you’re “special.”

As Zoey tries to make new friends and maybe find a hot boyfriend (or two), she comes up against all kinds of evil, from the perfect-looking, super-popular girl with not-so-faultless plans, to the mysterious deaths happening at the House of Night and all over Tulsa. Things at the House of Night are not always what they seem. Can Zoey find the courage deep within herself to find the truth and embrace her destiny?”


The House of Night Series I was pretty sure I was going to hate. I always passed by it in the bookstore and wanted to read it but it looked so cheesy I just stayed away. Eventually though I gave in and borrowed the first four books and holy shit, am I glad I did! I now own all six books and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of book seven.

Basically this series follows Zoey a fledging vampire who is all super powerful and can connect to all the elements on a physical and emotional level (earth, wind, water, fire, and spirit). Zoey goes to school at a vampire finishing boarding school, where there are dorms, enemies, and a lot of guys who are drawn to Zoey (maximum hotties in these books). Zoey has friends who are all so different it can really be a book for anyone who wants to read it. Her friends consist of Erin, Damien, Stevie Rae, Shaunee, Erik, Aphrodite, Heath, Stark, and Jack.

There is so much adventure, action, romance, sex (or lack thereof), and mystery that surrounds these books that there is no way I could not give 4 smirks. Let’s talk about the Teams now, you know what I’m talking about in each book there is always a love triangle of some kind and you have to choose a team. Personally, I am Team Stark because he is a wounded guy with a bow and arrow and what could be hotter than that. Plus everything he does to keep Zoey safe and a lot of times alive are so hot, you can’t help but love him. The other teams consist of Team Erik (who I thought at first was amazing, but turns out really insecure for an “actor”), Team Heath (who is so loveable like a big dumb teddy bear you just want to hug), Team Kalona (who may be beautiful, but he literally is the ultimate evil for these books), and Team Loren (who was a poet, took Zoey into his open arms only to betray her! Bastard).

What P.C. and Kristin did with this series is nothing short of magnificent. I highly recommend this series because it will pull you into a high school setting and make you thankful your own high school experience. I gave 4 smirks because even though I LOVE this series, there are some parts where I just wanted to smack some of the characters. Sometimes the characters in the books are TOO high school for me, I love the high school setting but being so in high school you almost sound like a cliché is where I draw the line. My two favorite books of out this series would have to be Hunted and Tempted which are books five and six. For those of you out there who have already or are going to pick up this series I highly suggest doing it before April 27, 2010 because the next installment of this thrilling series comes out on that very day, Burned. And I will be posting my review for Burned as soon as I read it, so come back on the first of May. Please visit The House of Night Series website for more information, www.houseofnightseries.com

No comments:

Post a Comment