Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa


Review of The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Published: February 1, 2010

6 out of 5 smirks

Synopsis: “Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.”

The Iron King is easily one of my top 5 favorite books of all time. Not just because I have had the pleasure of sitting in on a chat with Julie Kagawa and I find her amazing, but because she pushed you into a world that borders on reality and totally submerges you into it. When I read The Iron King, I am coming home, and I love that feeling. I feel like I am meeting characters who are my friends, who take me on these amazing adventures, and who ultimately for being Fey are so drowned in human emotion. I absolutely fell in love with Puck and Ash who are apart, of course, a love triangle with Meaghan.

IK takes you on this roller coaster ride of helping Meaghan find her family, and who she truly is. IK is just one of those books that pacts everything into you can think of. There are funny parts, scary parts, uneasy parts, parts of love and despair, jealousy, and so on the whole range of human emotions are within this book. Which in retrospect makes me just love the book even more, since Fey hate having human emotions and are so against anyone who is human it is a wonder what Julie did with this book and made every character a little bit human in their own way. I only have one question and one answer for you folks today. Should you read The Iron King? Hell yes! Get off your lazy asses and get to a book store and buy it. It is just a heart throbbing story that brings the growing technology aspect to life and what humans have to do with making Fey live forever.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree. I LOVE this book. It's such an awesome spin on faery lore.

    ReplyDelete