Monday, April 5, 2010

Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz

Review of Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz

Published: 2007

4 out of 5 smirks

Synopsis: “When the Mayflower set sail in 1620, it carried on board the men and women who would shape America: Miles Standish; John Alden; Constance Hopkins. But some among the Pilgrims were not pure of heart; they were not escaping religious persecution. Indeed, they were not even human. They were vampires.

The vampires assimilated quickly into the New World. Rising to levels of enormous power, wealth, and influence, they were the celebrated “blue bloods” of American society. The Blue Bloods vowed that their immortal status would remain a closely guarded secret. And they kept that secret for centuries.

But now, in New York City, the secret is seeping out. Schuyler Van Alen is a sophomore at a prestigious private school. Suddenly, when she turns fifteen, there is a visible mosaic of blue veins on her arm. She starts to crave raw food -- and she is having flashbacks to ancient times. Then a girl from her school is found dead . . . drained of all her blood. Schuyler doesn’t know what to think. Could those vampire legends really be true?” (
http://bluebloodsbooks.com/includes/bluebloods-synopsis.html)

Every time I would go into a bookstore I would pass these amazingly beautifully covered books, I would always stop and admire and read the back to see if there books were worth purchasing. Finally, for Easter I received the first book of The Blue Bloods Series, cleverly titled Blue Bloods. The only problem I had with Blue Bloods was that the point of view shifted between a lot of characters within the same chapter, which normally I would find exciting and helpful but the way it was done was confusing. One minute you’re inside a main character’s head and then they are talking to someone and all of a sudden you’re in their head too. After about the fifth chapter though, it was easy to get use the style of the writing and the flow of it all.

All in all I loved the book, 4 smirks is pretty close to perfect for grading on scale at least on my scale it is. I really enjoyed the history Melissa De La Cruz put into the book and how she created this wonderful world of what vampires truly are and how they truly exist. It was a good escape from the traditional vampire mythology and loved the way the author took you on a different route and weaved history into it all. Very clever and I admire that about Melissa De La Cruz. The one thing that really changed my mind about reading the first book of this series was in the first few pages. Normally authors like to quote poems or from other books but this author took even me by surprised and quoted from a Muse song, which I found truly inspiring.

You can always tell a lot about someone by the music they listen to, they shows they watch, the movies they love, and ultimately what’s on their book shelves. I think it is safe to say that if Melissa De La Cruz was just someone who happened to live in my hometown we would get along famously. Back to the book, which I stayed up all night reading because I could not put it down and now I have to go to class. Anyways, Blue Bloods has every element in it that makes a good book, mystery, adventure, secrets, weird Twin relationships, romance, preppy kids from NYC, and of course a savor in the bunch. I cannot wait to read the second book of this series and might have to take a detour before going to my class. Read the first book and if you don’t like no harm, no foul, but remember I didn’t think I was going to like it either and it totally sucked me in.

2 comments:

  1. Cool review! Not traditional vamp myth? I may have to check it out one day. And ooooh, weird twin relationship -- gotta love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :::SIGH::: Jack Force I love you! I love this series and her last book The Van Alen Legacy was the best! I can not wait for Misguided Angel... I believe that is the name hehe

    ReplyDelete