Monday, April 5, 2010

Evernight by Claudia Gray

Review of Evernight by Claudia Gray

Published: February 10, 2009

5 out of 5 smirks

Synopsis: “Bianca has been uprooted from her happy, uneventful life to start anew at an elite boarding school where her parents will now be professors. Even though Bianca doesn't feel that she is the Evernight type—rich, beautiful, or gifted—she knows that her parents feel this is best for her. She and Lucas Ross share a special connection from the moment they meet and he, like Bianca and a few others, is an outsider. He is a rebel who is on a mission to discover the secret behind Evernight Academy. As the weeks progress, their relationship heats up. What they don't realize, however, is that they each harbor a great secret that could divide them forever. Can their love survive the truth?”

Evernight was such a face slapping book that it was obvious I had to give it 5 smirks. There were more than a few times where information was dropped like a bomb while reading it that I literally screamed, WTF????? And that is exactly what I loved about it. It spun me in one direction one page and a hundred pages from that I was stunned into a swearing fit when I couldn’t believe what had just happened. Talk about unpredictable, Claudia Gray just takes the rug right out from under you as soon as you think this is just another great academy book.

I was just blown away by how Claudia Gray took this story and make it so endearing and desirable to readers. I had heard great things about this series before I picked up the book, even passed it in the bookstore once or twice (and as we all have learned if I go to a bookstore and always pick up a book but never buy it, I will most likely end up liking it). It was a much needed change from the predictable books out there, I thought I had this book all figured out and it turns out I had no clue. Over three-hundred pages of deliciously snarky, witty, romantic goodness and I’m still smiling and waiting anxiously for tomorrow. Hoping beyond hope the library will call and let me know I can pick up the rest of the books in this series.

If you want to be taken by surprise, drawn into mythology, mystery, excitement, deception, romance, predators, and prey, this book is something that should be on your to do list like a year ago. I don’t want to give anything away because if I did, you wouldn’t have the same jaw dropping experience I did while reading it. And what kind of book review would I be if I just robbed you of that pleasure. You should also warn anyone you live with that you might be swearing or screaming WTF, but not to worry you are just reading an empowering book that takes over your senses because you can’t believe what is happening.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, you've sold me. I'll read the Not Just Another Academy Book. I promise. Solemnly swear and all.

    ReplyDelete