Thursday, April 8, 2010

Need by Carrie Jones

Review of Need by Carrie Jones

Published: December 8, 2009 (paperback)

1 out of 5 smirks

Synopsis: “Zara collects phobias the way other girls collect Facebook friends. Little wonder, since life’s been pretty rough so far. Her father left, her stepfather just died, and her mother’s pretty much checked out. Now Zara’s living with her grandmother in sleepy, cold Maine so that she stays “safe.” Zara doesn’t think she’s in danger; she thinks her mother can’t deal.
Wrong. Turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, isn’t a figment of her imagination. He’s a pixie—and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He’s the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs. And he’s trailing Zara.” (
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Need/Carrie-Jones/e/9781599903385).

Well despite how I always seem to read books I love and write about them, I thought I should show you guys there are books out there I cannot stand. Need by Carrie Jones being one of them. This is not to say I do not respect Carrie Jones as an author because frankly anyone who works hard and gets published has been very successful. This book however, was not my cup of tea; actually it wasn’t my cup of anything. It was just so predictably bad, I thought I might fall asleep and seriously wanted to so I could get rid of my headache from reading it.

Zara, main character, just bugs the shit out of me. I mean seriously, a main character who doesn’t want to hurt people who are attacking her? WTF? Some might think this characteristic is endearing, but frankly I think it’s annoying as hell to be inside Zara’s mind and have to listen to her whine about every single thing. Geeze, even writing about it makes my head swell in irritation. And just the whole how we trap pixies thing was just absurd, I mean seriously, forks? They aren’t even iron, who eats with iron forks? Don’t answer that because I do not want to know. I mean I get the were animals in the book, I truly do and I even kind of like them but forks as weapons??? That is the equivalent of me throwing a sock at an intruder in my house. I would have more luck throwing one of my books.

The one great thing about this book is in fact the cover, very beautiful and ties amazingly well with the story line. This is why I gave 1 smirk instead of none. Like I said, I respect Carrie Jones and the fact that she works hard, but not all books are going to reach everyone. This book fell incredibly short for me and I am really glad that I did not buy it. Actually that is this posts lesson! If you are unsure of a book, do not purchase it, borrow or rent from the library. Better safe than sorry. With the economy the way it is, 9 bucks can really come in handy and shouldn’t be wasted on something you aren’t going to love.

3 comments:

  1. Let me add that I didn't see hardly (I did qualify it simply for the fact that it's been a year since I read it) ANY chemistry between the protag and her hero bf.

    I can't fault Carrie Jones but I do fault her editor. This level of seriously lazy writing and plotting should not be released to the public.

    Now having said that, people whose views I respect it loved it. So my lesson for today, is hey, there are 31 flavors out there, so pick one.

    But for me - the plot was slow. The mythology godawful and messy (seemed to be based on Native America folklore mixed with faerie lore mixed with everything but the kitchen sink...wait, it did include forks so yeah...).

    Having read the book a year ago, has made me like it less and less. Funny how time makes one's opinion of something stronger. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wait, I forgot the part I couldn't forgive AT ALL - lack of chemistry beween the girl and boy characters. I hope it wasn't left on the editing room floor. LOL. Nothing about this book hit the mark for me. Nothing.

    And let me add there is a creepy level to the "need"...a sexual creepiness to it that again, left a bad taste in my mouth. Really bad. Like, ewww.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww you girls didn't like it? I did, but I enjoyed captivate way more for some reason. Captivate was way better lol

    ReplyDelete