Saturday, April 10, 2010

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

Review of Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (Morganville Vampires, Book 1)

Published: October 3, 2006

3 out 5 smirks

Synopsis: “College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.”

Morganville Vampire Series is something I think people need to read. I was surprised as ever that I enjoyed the first book of this series, Glass Houses, and I’m looking forward to reading the others that follow. I had heard through friends that the first book was not as enjoyable as the rest of the series, and I am here to tell you I will find out if it is true. I am really glad I decided to borrow these books from the library because at least for, Glass Houses, I will never read again. That is not to say Glass Houses was not good because it was. It just wasn’t a book I am dying to own. Hence the only 3 smirks. If you haven’t noticed a pattern 4-5 smirks are books I want or do own, where as 3 smirks means it was a good book and I’m glad I read it but don’t have the urge to buy it.

I really enjoyed the way Glass Houses ended with roommates screaming all at once. I thought it was very vampire book worthy. The one thing I truly enjoyed though was the four main characters of the book, although the story is told through Claire, the new roommate, you really got a glimpse of what it is like going off to college and building your own family. It had a homey feel to it, a togetherness and protection of each other that would just chemistry within the characters. There was also a lot of mystery surrounding the whole experience as if we only saw what Claire saw until she saw it, very good way of writing (I really admire that about Rachel Caine). It also didn’t suck that there are two hot boys living in this “glass house” if you will, I mean seriously the tension between the four characters as individual couples was so animated, it was fabulous.

As you all know, I am in college so I get to read maybe 2 books a week if I’m lucky. I’ve read about 4 or more this week and am beat, so I will leave you with this tid bit. Rachel Caine is a fantastic author and I look forward to reading the next two Morganville Vampire Series books. Read them or don’t, at this point I am so exhausted I don’t care, but a word to the wise “reading is fundamental.” Take the time to read this book at the very least and indulge in the world of college mixed with bloodsucking fiends or rather go back to those days or look forward to them or if you are like me you are still mixed up in them. Either way this book is worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment